Musical Trip to Interior Alaska by Trenton Woods

 



Athabaskan is a form of Alaska native that comes from the interior of of Alaska. Athabaskan's are part of the 4 different cultures in Alaska joining the Eskimo's, Aleuts, and coastal Indians which are Tlingit and Haida. Athabaskan's have many different cultural ways and music is a big part of their culture. This music can describe their families, love, fishing and hunting, and a great overview of their culture that they take great pride in. 

Although my family comes from an Athabaskan village called Rampart, I am out of the loop when it comes to my cultural music and other traditional because I was born in Fairbanks and never got to experience it. This is why I decided to research it and learn more about it to getting a better understanding of my families history. 

Athabaskan music is very unique in its own way and the dancers and musicians take extreme pride in showing it off. I believe that music has a great effect on bringing people together in a way that can boost cultures and stick to old traditions passed down from our elders. 


This song is performed by an AFN Athabaskan dance group in 1999. This song displays a fast rhythm with a hand made drum while the singers have a more of a shouting beat that brings passion to their song. Athabaskan is unique in a way or their rhythm. Most songs presented by the Athabaskans are loud and powerful to tell a story about their culture. 


This song is performed at a funeral in 2009 in Minto, AK in honor of Evelyn Alexander with all the people involved. If you didn't know already, Athabaskans take great pride and passion into their work. This helps their culture stick to their old ways to help strengthen their culture and the new people involved. When a person dies within the culture, songs are played to celebrate their life in a way that it not "normal" here in the US. A typical funeral in the US is very quiet and maybe a person will sing a song. But in Athabaskan culture, everyone joins in in a very passionate way to celebrate the fallen. Amplitude has a great role in this song. The role this plays is to be loud with quick drum vibrations while everyone sings in their native tongue to show respect to the deceased.


Athabaskan music is sacred and is an important piece of culture that has been played for over 150 years. Athabaskan music is a way of coping with social problems as well as celebrating life. (T, Johnston. 1991). This music is essentially the "glue" to the culture that keeps them healthy and happy through both good and bad times that arise. 


"After we sing and dance, we forget about our sorrow"(Madeline, 1989). This music has a much more realistic idea behind it rather than your mainstream music you hear on the radio. This music is therapy to the people and brings joy beyond belief. After researching my own culture I have grown to appreciate the little things more. I am proud of my religion and although I didn't grow up singing these songs, I still have that part in me. My elders grew up singing these songs and knowing that gives me a great feeling. 


Madeline, 1989. Athabaskan dance songs. retrieved from 

https://library.alaska.gov/hist/hist_docs/docs/anlm/41699107.pdf


T, Johnston (1991) history and social context Athabaskan music. retrieved from 

https://search.proquest.com/openview/5be80526d0402e399801e62772cf12c7/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=2029870


AFN song group(1999) retrieved from 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XHgzuo_ye4


Funeral for Evelyn Alexander, an Athabaskan ritual. retrieved from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO2yZ4AhhYw








Comments

  1. Hey Trenton!

    That's awesome that you decided to study about your own culture. I'm an Upper Tanana Athabascan and I often felt a lot of struggle with my identity growing up in Fairbanks and not knowing about who I was on my Athabascan side. Our culture is so beautiful and through our music especially. No matter where in the Interior Region you are from, the music connects us all and I always feel at home when I hear it.

    I decided to google Rampart dance groups because I don't know much about the people of Rampart, but look at this group! They have such pride and is such a beautiful group of people! https://youtu.be/Gkuo-pjitBA. The Sea Gull song is one of my favorites to hear and I love the variations our people have from across the region.

    Have a wonderful spring break! Well done on your journey to the Interior. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trenton,

    I liked your blog post. I'm similar in that I don't know much of Native ancestry and music, but always enjoy learning more about where I came from. My mother is from Barrow, and me Anchorage so I'm part Inupiaq. I have played the hand drum before, and here's an example if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8okhKjC27g&t=329s

    Thank you for helping me learn more about your culture because anything I learn about our cultures only helps me learn more about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trenton,
    I am glad you picked Alaska, specifically the interior – I almost did, too!

    I am non-native, but I was born and raised in Fairbanks, and I love everything about the Native community. I’ve been to many cultural events, and currently work at Fairbanks Native Association where some zoom meetings have begun with traditional drumming, and sometimes singing.

    When I hear Alaskan Native music, especially the drumming, it reminds me of how resilient, connected, and appreciative this culture is. It really is something to be admired. I was at AFN once and there was a circle, telling stories, and afterwards they would sing and dance. It almost made me emotional; it was so empowering. I 100% agree with you that they take so much pride in their music, and culture as a whole. It is all about giving back to the land.

    What I think is great about drumming in this culture, is how powerful and healing it is. In some treatment facilities or groups, drumming is used as a ‘traditional-based activity’ as a tool to promote healing in individuals who have been diagnosed with a substance use disorder. I work in a recovery support group and drumming is something I would like to implement, if Covid lets up. Very interesting stuff! Check out the article. I will add the link below, but I am having issues with it – so if it doesn’t work the title of the article is: “Utilizing Drumming for American/Indians/Alaska Natives with Substance Use Disorders: A Focus Group Study”

    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230761121_Utilizing_Drumming_for_American_IndiansAlaska_Natives_with_Substance_Use_Disorders_A_Focus_Group_Study

    Great job!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Create a Blog Assignment

The Role of the Performer by Trenton Woods

Continued Exploration: You've Got A Friend In Me from Toy Story (Music and the Fictive Dream)